Crafty by Nature

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

OMG! Talk about Artist Block!

Has it already been two years?  I can't believe that I have been completely blocked for that long.  I have been trying to figure out the why of it, but have decided that why isn't important, moving on is. So how do I get out of it?

There is one thing I have learned during this sabbatical:  the more I learn the less I know.  When I first decided to pursue my art, it was easy.  I knew nothing.  When I wanted to give a certain look, or feel to a piece I just did it.  Period.  Nothing special, no fancy techniques, just me and my stuff. Then
I immersed myself into courses given by artists, much like me.  I pondered their success and thought that their methods were all that separated me from these acclaimed women (sorry guys, but women seem to be at the forefront here).  And so I set out to learn what they knew.  The more I learned, the more I saw that I was doing EVERYTHING WRONG!  And voila BLOCKAGE!

How crazy is that?  Just because I was using my own methods before hand, that didn't make them the wrong methods, it made them MY methods.

And so, I have concluded, that I have to stay away from courses and the sites that give "inspiration", tutorials and oh my goodness, I definitely must stay away from the rabbit hole that is Pinterest.

Okay, so here goes.  Back into the light.

Bye for now.

No comments: